Where would you like to go?

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Cake Central Magazine feature

Wow!  First of all I just want to say how excited I am to share this big news with all of you!  As you may have noticed on my blog, there's a Cake Central badge on the top right corner.  Yes, I was fortunate enough to be featured on their latest issue!!!  But how did it all begin?

Well, a few months ago I received an email from Jackie and the Cake Central team saying that they were interested in featuring one of my cakes on their upcoming pink and teal issue.  Now, this was the first step.  I had to accept their invitation, and then create a cake (from scratch) based on the inspiration board they sent me (which consisted of two photos).  One was of a woman with a white lacy bodice and tulle skirt, with a pink damask printed wallpaper in the background, and the other was of a jar of roses on a teal painted rustic wooden table.  So, I got sketching!  I didn't have much time to work on it, like any task, there's always a deadline.  After a couple of late nights (actually, sleepless nights), I finally ended up with a cake that (to me) best represented the inspiration board.  I took hundreds of photos, and selected several to send to the Cake Central Art Department.  And then the waiting began.

Even though I was invited to take part in this particular issue, there was no guarantee that I would make it as it all depended on the work I submitted - whether it was good enough to be featured.  I prayed about it, because there was nothing else I could do.  I waited and waited.  I waited several weeks.  Because I hadn't heard from them in a very long time, I somehow came to accept in my mind that I didn't get selected this time round and that it was okay because it was a great experience.  Then I got an email that put the biggest smile on my face!!  Here's what it said...(I took a pic of the computer screen, then doodled on it...lol)...

  Who wouldn't get excited, right?  An American magazine wanted to feature MY cake!  It's super duper awesome!!  :-D

Here's a pic I took (off the computer) of my spread (pages 24 and 25)...sorry about the poor quality...
Pretty cool, huh?  I still can't believe it to this day!!

Now, here are the actual pics of my pink and teal wedding cake.  Enjoy!!

Overall, I wanted to create a vintage-inspired pink and teal wedding cake, which was the 'feel' I got from the inspiration board.  I made sure to incorporate key elements, such as the golden pearls, the lace bodice, the teal table, the 'leafy' designs and the old rose colour, in order to best represent the inspiration board.

Here are some close up shots of different parts of the cake for you all to see.  

I wanted give my roses age and character, so in order to do this I had to roughen the edges of the petals and lightly go over them with diluted edible gold (just to give it that lustre).

The following lattice work was inspired by the lace bodice the woman was wearing (from the inspiration board).  I really wanted to portray its intricacy and beauty by dedicating a whole tier to it.  I don't normally work with royal icing, so this was a learn-as-you-go experience for me.  I had cramped hands afterwards (because it took a few hours to complete with all the layering involved).

I'm so happy to have finally shared this with you!  It was hard keeping it from you all this time, but hopefully totally worth the wait.  Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!!

xo,
Jackie

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE THE BOMB DIGGITY...I totally love love love this cake...my gosh you can't even tell if the roses are real or edible...WOW. Mind blowingly amazing! Martha Stewart will be knowcking on your door soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely STUNNING!!!! This cake is " Out Of This world Amazingly Beautiful!!!"

    ~ Chantal
    DragonflyExpression.com

    ReplyDelete