Where would you like to go?

Thursday 28 July 2011

Snow White & the Seven year old

Sorry for the late entry today guys.  Was out and about with my boys, seeing as it's the last week of the school holidays.  Trying to make it as fun as possible for my eldest boy.  :-)

Anyway, today we continue our trip down Jackie's BLAST FROM THE PAST cake creations, and I'm thrilled to show you my first doll cake made for my lovely niece Chanel.  Coming from a family where girls are greatly outnumbered by boys, I really get super excited at the prospect of making a GIRL'S CAKE!  And to make it even more girly, a DOLL CAKE!

Snow White was the theme chosen by my sister and Mum (well, come to think of it, it was more Mum, being the Grandma of her ONE & ONLY granddaughter) months before Chanel's seventh birthday.  In our culture (or perhaps just our family) turning seven is a significant milestone.  I wish I could give you a more insightful explanation as to why, but it escapes me!  I really can't remember however many times I go through the archives in my head.  My only guess is that it has something to do with the bible... but I will ask my Mum to be sure and let you all know!

Well, back to the cake, my beautiful niece definitely wanted a Snow White doll cake because she was going to be dressed up as Snow White herself.  What kind of an Aunty would I be if I didn't make her birthday wishes come true, right?  So here I was driving around trying to find a Snow White doll.  I found a pretty cool one from the Barbie Disney range, but of course, being an avid bargain hunter that I am, I searched far and wide to find the best deal of the same product.  YAY TO KMART!  For the same doll I managed to take Snow White home at half the price of some of the other retailers!  I was sooo stoked about this!  I was definitely off to a good start.

Now, the fun really begins.  I had to work out how to actually make this doll cake.  But first, I wanted to get truly inspired, so I went over to my pal GOOGLE and looked at other doll cakes.  I just want to say that there are SOOO many talented people out there!  Some of the cakes I saw were just breath-taking!  This really got me pumped to attempt my first doll cake.  I'm not sure if I've said this before (and maybe I have) I usually 'wing' my cakes when it comes to decorating.  I don't think there really is a WAY to make novelty cakes, you kind of JUST DO IT Nike styles.  I say trust your instincts and go with it.  You definitely need to take risks in order to push yourself out of its comfort zone.

After hours of fiddly work, I ended up with a pretty good-lookin' doll cake.  Here are the pics for you all to enjoy!  And remember, tomorrow I will be sharing another (maybe two if you're lucky) of my BLAST FROM THE PAST cake creations.  See you then!

 More pics after the jump...



My beautiful niece Chanel and her Snow White cake

Chanel cutting the cake

xo

Fun times!

And of course, you gotta have pinata!
Thanks for looking and see you again tomorrow!  Blessings and good night!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment